What does the future hold for Artificial Intelligence development?
Perhaps we should be looking towards the film to help us understand the future of A.I. technology.
Ok, so I don’t believe that everything you see in the films will come true. However, life has been known to imitate art. What can we learn about the future of A.I. from films covering topics related to this technology?
Even if they don’t come true, and I hope most of them don’t (!), you can still have fun watching these 5 films with artificial intelligence technology.
Let’s dive on in shall we?
- Release Date: 1968
- IMDB Overview: After discovering a mysterious artefact buried beneath the lunar surface, mankind sets off on a quest to find its origins with help from intelligent supercomputer HAL 9000.
- How an A.I. Character is featured: The computer HAL 9000 who runs the ship and can communicate with the people on board is an excellent example of sentient artificial intelligence.
- Release Date: 1984
- IMDB Overview: A seemingly indestructible android is sent from 2029 to 1984 to assassinate a waitress, whose unborn son will lead humanity in a war against the machines, while a soldier from that war is sent to protect her at all costs.
- How an A.I. Character is featured: The Terminator is another example of artificial intelligence in action. The cyborg uses it’s A.I. to interact with the world – A robot Boston Dynamics would be proud of!
- Release Date: 2018
- IMDB Overview: When the creator of a virtual reality world called the OASIS dies, he releases a video in which he challenges all OASIS users to find his Easter Egg, which will give the finder his fortune.
- How an A.I. Character is featured: Virtual reality environments require computer vision and other artificial intelligence to run. This technology ensures the immersive experience works for the players and responds in the way it is expected to.
- Release Date: 2014
- IMDB Overview: A young programmer is selected to participate in a ground-breaking experiment in synthetic intelligence by evaluating the human qualities of a highly advanced humanoid A.I.
- How an A.I. Character is featured: The humanoid character, Ava is another example of sentient artificial intelligence. In this film, some interesting questions about how people and technology could interact in the future.
- Release Date: 2015
- IMDB Overview: When Tony Stark and Bruce Banner try to jump-start a dormant peacekeeping program called Ultron, things go horribly wrong, and it’s up to Earth’s mightiest heroes to stop the villainous Ultron from enacting his terrible plan.
- How an A.I. Character is featured: Ultron is an example of the A.I. we all hope doesn’t come into the world. This killer robot shows us we all need to be careful when developing the technology.
As you can see, artificial intelligence is often depicted as turning against us in the future.
How can we stop this terror becoming real? It is my belief we as a global society need to work together to ensure we have a robust ethical framework for technology development.
If you are interested to understand more about this, then you can try this article on developing ethical A.I.
In the meantime, what’s your favourite film with A.I.? Let me know in the comments.