Programming in Python for data science is one of the best ways to get into the field.
There are so many different options for people to learn to program these days, how do you know what’s best for you?
I don’t know about you, but one of the best ways I have found to learn anything is through fun. If you’re having fun when you’re learning Python for data science, you’re more likely to remember it.
Another thing that makes learning great, at least for me, is if it’s free.
Who wouldn’t want to learn python if it was free? Am I right?
So I’ve collated 5 of the best free resources for learning python for data science.
These python resources have all been deemed fun by myself.
I chose fun as my metric for powerful data science resources cause when you’re having fun you learn better.
Fun is a high bar to get to when learning any new skill, in particular, a technical skill. But programming is fun so it should be fun to learn also!
Best of all, every site listed below allows you to learn python for data science for free!
Check them out below and see if you agree!
- What it is: The clue is in the name for this one. It’s a game you play with a community of other learners to help you learn a variety of different languages, including python.
- Where to play: You can play this game on codingame.com
- Why its fun: It’s fun because it’s a game! You work with the community and can support one another while learning – so fun!
- What it is: A place where data scientists can get practice using python on different projects including building bots (an application of weak AI) and solve puzzles.
- Where to play: You can start creating your first projects on checkio.org
- Why it’s fun: Who doesn’t love the idea of creating their own bot? If you don’t think that sounds like fun, I don’t know what is.
- What it is: A service where you can learn multiple languages, like Coding Game, including python. It’s a bit like a choose your own adventure where you can explore different programming puzzles and games to improve your programming skills.
- Where to play: You can access Coding Dojo at cyber-dojo.org/
- Why it’s fun: There are plenty of fun tasks you can try and tailor what you do to make it enjoyable for you. Plus they have a Harry Potter task for python programming – who doesn’t love Harry Potter? I refuse to believe that anything featuring my beloved Harry isn’t fun.
- What it is: This is another game for people to practice their python programming skills. I’m sure any gamers reading this had their ears pop up at the name coding combat. The name itself sounds like a game. As you go through the game, you can see how your code is making real-life changes in the game.
- Where to play: Access this game on codecombat.com
- Why it’s fun: As I touched on above, this is a game for programmers looking to improve their python skills. Also being able to see how your code impacts the game in real time makes the experience engaging and fun to play.
5. Data Camp
- What it is: Data camp is probably the free tool to learn python that is most specific to data scientists. At Data Camp you will find a variety of fun and interactive tasks to help you improve your python for data science skills.
- Where to Play: You can play all the data science games you could hope for at datacamp.com
- Why it’s fun: First of all, data science is always fun! Only joking (kind of). What makes Data Camp a powerful way to learn python for data science is the interactive challenges and tasks that get you programming and learning as you go.
So that’s it – 5 fun and powerful ways you can learn python for data science for free!
I hope that you have fun exploring these different platforms and learning python.