The potential impact of technology in healthcare is just becoming clear.
One of the areas where artificial intelligence has significant potential for doing good is in healthcare.
There are multiple ways via which you can leverage the technology to help in the development of healthcare solutions.
Here are 5 of the most exciting areas showing the impact of technology in healthcare.
Impact of AI Technology in healthcare
Today we’re going to be looking at how AI can benefit many different aspects of healthcare and why.
Medical Image Analysis
Artificial intelligence is used to analyze medical images, such as brain scans, in bulk.
This allows researchers to analyze and gain insights from this data on mass. This is important because the technology can pick up small changes between the images that can be traced back to symptoms by the researcher.
- What are the uses identified: Research into strokes and breast cancer
- Where can I find out more? This article summarises
Developing Efficient Trial Mechanisms
Machine learning is used to help researchers design effective drug trials.
This is important to understand the effectiveness of new medicines coming into the market. AI is helping develop better clinical trial protocols. The impact of this technology on healthcare is that the researcher can gather better data more efficiently.
Overall, this means that trials are shorter and effective treatments are developed more quickly.
- What are the uses identified: One unexpected impact of using AI is that the technology can predict which participants are the most reliable, and likely to stay the course. A major cause of inefficiency in trials is people dropping out of the process. By analyzing a person’s background pre-trial, AI can make better choices for participants.
- Where can I find out more? This article has you covered
If you can predict if a person is likely to suffer from a particular disease, you can treat them more effectively.
Being able to identify at-risk groups allows healthcare professionals to focus on preventative care, which is often far less costly than treatments.
- What are the uses identified: One area where AI technology is impacting healthcare by predicting disease is with heart disease. Researchers have been able to mine medical data to identify predictors of heart disease. Once identified, medical professionals can work with the patient to help prevent the onset of the disease.
- Where can I find out more? This paper from 2011 goes into all the details (and what you should do to protect yourself!)
Here the impact of technology on healthcare is to two-fold.
In one case, AI can help a researcher narrow the field and understand where they should be researching based on data mining techniques.
Another example shows AI can help develop better and more accurate models for how drugs will interact with the body.
- What are the uses identified: The world of targeted drug discovery relies heavily on data mining techniques and machine learning for analysis. This is big business with many pharmaceutical companies leveraging this technology to try and get ahead.
- Where can I find out more? Try this paper for an overview of some of the pros and limitations.
Different people may require different treatments for the same disease.
Using AI and big data to understand better how certain traits each of us has an impact on how we respond to treatments will benefit healthcare.
- What are the uses identified: Researchers have used artificial intelligence to understand better how to offer precision medical treatment to stroke suffers. By reviewing medical imaging data, the technology has been able to identify features in the information that provide insight into better treatment.
- Where can I find out more? Try this paper
So there you have it, 5 incredible uses of artificial intelligence to benefit healthcare.
What will be the impact of technology on healthcare?
In today’s world, being able to move quickly is a crucial advantage.
The benefit of AI is that it will be able to whittle out bad options and move towards new drug and treatment development more quickly.
The impact of technology on healthcare is clear. I for one believe this is one of the better ways we can apply the benefits of artificial intelligence.
Which is your favorite use of AI in medicine? Where do you see the most significant benefit?